Monday, August 12, 2013

Prompt 5

Megan O’Leary
 

Mrs. Wilhelmus
 

AP English Language
 

5 August 2013
 

                                                       Where I Stand on the Rabbit’s Fur

     Many different philosophies and belief systems were explained and discussed throughout 

Sophie's World. I agreed with the majority of these philosophies, but some ideas did not make sense 

to me. I agreed most with Plato’s ideas about form and the idea that the world is characterized by 

opposite poles of good and bad. I disagree with many of the natural philosopher’s thoughts as well as 

Aristotle’s views on gender. Being able to agree and disagree with various philosophies and form my 

own ideas, I think I reside near the top of the rabbit’s fur.
 

     In the “Hellenism” chapter, Alberto teaches Sophie about the philosopher Plotinus and his 

philosophies. Plotinus believed the world contained two poles of light and darkness. At one end there 

is a divine light called the One, and at the other end there is absence of the One, or darkness. I agree 

with this, because I believe in God, or the One, and the idea that wherever God cannot be found, 

there is darkness. The other philosopher I most agree with is Plato and his ideas of form. Alberto 

explains that Plato believed everything is made after a timeless ‘mold’ or ‘form’ that is eternal and 

immutable. I like this idea as well as his other belief of our souls searching for true knowledge.
 

    I found it hard to understand the natural philosopher’s theories. For example, Thales believed all 

things came from water. I personally think that is outrageous. It is impossible for everything to be 

made up of just water alone. Another natural philosopher, Anaximenes, thought the source of all 

things was air. I find this equally as improbable. Another theory that I completely disagreed with was 

Aristotle’s views on gender and opinions of women. He truly believed women did not hold as much 

potential as men and were incomplete. Obviously, his theories on this subject are wrong.
 

    As far as where I am located on the rabbit’s fur, I think I am near the highest point. Before reading 

Gaarder’s novel, however, I was next to the rabbit’s skin. Sophie’s World thoroughly explained 

philosophy in a simple and enjoyable manner to where I was able to grasp the concepts with ease. 

Anyone can think philosophically and climb higher on the rabbit’s fur if they have an open mind. 

Reading this book allowed me to reflect on myself, the world, and how everything came to be, which 

is why I think I am now higher on the rabbit’s fur.
 

    While reading this book, I came across many philosophies of which I had strong opinions. Some 

of the philosophers had ideas that I firmly believed as well. Other philosophers, however, had ideas 

that I disagreed completely with. Every individual has varying beliefs, and that is why there is no end 

to philosophy. Being near the top of the rabbit’s fur, it is perfectly fine for me to agree with some 

philosophies, yet disagree with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment