Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP English Language
1 August 2013
Two Philosophical Questions
“Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?” are two deep questions raised by the
character Alberto Knox in the novel Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder. These two philosophical
questions can be answered in multiple ways as it depends on each responder’s personal opinion.
Although everyone may have different standpoints on the origin of the universe and who we are as
human beings, I think it is wise for me to contemplate various theories, consider the possible flaws of
each, and determine how they tie together as I decide on the ones I agree with most.
As Sophie pondered over Alberto’s question “Who are you?”, so did I. Like Sophie, I thought
about how a person can define him or herself. As a human being, I believe I am unique and cannot be
defined by just a first and last name. I have my own qualities, characteristics, and views on the world.
I do not believe I am simply a collection of atoms, but something more spiritual. I think each
individual was put on Earth for a reason, and as we live life we discover exactly who we are along
the way.
In my opinion, the second question discussed in the novel, “Where does the world come from?”,
is much more difficult to answer. Not even the smartest of scientists can give a sure answer to this
question. Sophie claims either the universe always was, or something had to have come from
nothing. I agree with this, although I do believe God had a part in it. It is challenging to imagine
either scenario, because I usually immediately dismiss thoughts as crazy and unfathomable as those.
Referring to the idea that something can come from nothing, Alberto Knox states, “This idea was not
so widespread among the Greeks. For some reason or another, they assumed that ‘something’ had
always existed.” I disagree with the Greeks in this way, because it is easier for me to believe
something came from nothing rather than a timeline with no beginning.
Thinking about who I am and how the world came to be exercises my inner philosopher and
makes me look deeper into things I had not bothered thinking about before. The two philosophical
questions require the same type of thinking. They stir up deep thoughts and cause one to concern him
or herself with what man is and where the world came from. In this way, the questions tie together.
Alberto Knox says each individual has to come up with his or her own answer to questions like this,
which is how philosophy works. I love this way of thinking because it opens a new mindset on life
and the world we live in.
There are infinitely many possible answers to “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come
from?”. As an individual, I am able to decide for myself how to think and what to believe. After
much consideration and contemplation, I place my beliefs in the fact that I am a spiritual being put
into existence for a reason and have the ability to philosophize. As for my theory on the origin of the
universe, I believe there was a starting point when “something” came from “nothing”.
No comments:
Post a Comment